Friday, December 10, 2010

Why not?

So. . . I just decided to write something. Why, you ask? Well I say why not. . .jerk. Just kidding, you're not a jerk. Anyway, what shall I talk about? Hmmm. . . I know! I shall rant about ellipses!

For those of you who don't know, I used an ellipsis in that last paragraph, in fact, I used three. What is an ellipsis, you ask? Well, a very good question. According to the most reputable source in the world, Wikipedia:


     Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Greekἔλλειψιςélleipsis, "omission") is a mark or series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word in the original text. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought, or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence (aposiopesis) (apostrophe and ellipsis mixed). When placed at the end of a sentence, the ellipsis can also inspire a feeling of melancholy longing. The ellipsis calls for a slight pause in speech.
The most common form of an ellipsis is a row of three periods or full stops (...) or pre-composed triple-dot glyph (…). The usage of the em dash (—) can overlap the usage of the ellipsis.

See, here's why I want to talk about ellipses. Everyone does 'em wrong nowadays. You have no idea how many texts/IMs I've received where someone's like "Yeah, so.............." an ellipses is, note three periods not a million. Also, though Wikipedia just showed that I don't have to, every word processor I've used has always corrected my ellipses to space-period-space-period-space-period-space, or ( . . . ) not period-period-period-period-period-period. So, in case you read this and you suddenly need to use an ellipsis or two, remember those rules and don't just mash the period key a million times.

No comments:

Post a Comment