Monday, February 21, 2011

I am still alive

So, I haven't written anything here for awhile. Sorry. I know that some of you have been sitting by your computer, constantly refreshing my blog to see if I wrote something new. And I'm sure some even said "Oh, how sad, he's probably dead." Well guess what! I'm NOT dead. But you know who is? Billy Mays.

Yes, that's right, I'm sure at least one person will say, "Who the crap is Billy Mays?" I'll tell you who the crap is Billy Mays. Billy Mays (or B-money as his "homies" called him) was a TV advertisement personality. He's famous for shouting about the wonders of OxiClean. He had a beard that was thick enough to rival that of the internet's most famous superhero, Chuck Norris (of course B-money's beard was sans fist). On June 28, 2009 B-money was found dead by his wife, Deborah "Deb-Mash" Mays.

So why did I decide to rant about this man that many people hate because he's either a) loud b) annoying c) a Republican or d) any combination of the above. Because somebody else died 3 days before B-money and completely overshadowed Billy's story. That man is Michael Jackson, who I have my own opinions on but won't say them for fear of being lynched by the girls that have a crush on him. As a side note, most of those girls fit into the age 12-50 demographic.

There is a real reason however, for this rant. The news will only report on what they think will bring them viewers, and at that time for some reason the news decided that every day we needed to know that Michael Jackson was still dead. Why do we care so much? My uncle died and we spent about two or three days planning for a funeral and after the funeral we moved on. We miss him. My grandma has put pictures of him up in her house with little quotes nearby (i.e. "When you have someone you love in heaven, you have a little bit of heaven in your home"). I have no problem with remembering those who are dead, it's the fixation. We fixate so much on some celebrities that we think we know everything about their lives. We might even feel like we are part of their family. But we don't know everything and we aren't members of their families.

My suggestion to you guys is, if you are so fixated on one person that you know things about that person that other people generally don't know, (i.e. Birth date, birth time, the hospital they were born in, the hospital they stayed in for rehab, the other hospital they stayed in for the other rehab, etc.) try getting a new hobby. Maybe something useful, like cooking, woodworking, breathing, having a life, dating, raising your children, etc. Just a little suggestion.

Oh and to a certain 15 year old sister of mine. . . This one's for you.

1 comment:

  1. Aw. . . no one comments on me. . . so I'll comment on me. . . HI! It's good that you're alive, because you're alive, I'm alive!

    ReplyDelete